Barefoot Mama

"I started running barefoot in March 2008. I started one step at a time, one day at a time. I decided to start keeping a journal of sorts. Sharing my history, my journey and my adventures."

I have taken some new paths in relation to my running over the last year. This blog will still include my running adventures but I have to move on with more stories of my family and the journey we have taken together over the last year. This blog was started as a way to help me record my barefoot journey but now needs to become more than that. Please be patient as I explore ways to stay connected with family and friends.

Thursday, May 1, 2014

More from 2013

 Looking Back: April 2013 and the Boston Marathon:

I will say that my time in Boston was wonderful. My husband and I had a great time. I totally immersed myself in the marathon experience. We started in Hopkinton and drove the whole length of the course. Taking pictures and looking at all the small towns along the way. We arrived at the Expo and spent several hours roaming the aisles of goodies and we even went to a seminar and met up with Preston (Running Barefoot) and that was awesome. Here are some pics of my day.

Marathon Legends! From Left to right: Bill Rodgers, Jack Fultz, Kim Jones, Amby Burfoot, Kathrine Switzer and Greg 

Marathon morning was a little chilly. I remember that my hands were cold when I was in line for the bus that would take me to the start. I didn't have to wait long at the Athletes Village. Long enough to go to the bathroom and have a bagel and some water. I had my Gu's in my fuel belt and my huaraches on my feet. I carried my water in a hand held because I didn't want to stop at the water stops and get all yuck on my feet. My plan was to wear the huaraches for about 13 miles and then finish the last half of the marathon barefoot. I did develop some knee pain about mile 15 that slowed me down.

I had stopped once to use the porta potty.  Slowed down a bit on the hills. Worked the Heartbreak Hills with my friend Colin. He ran with me, barefoot, for a couple miles. Uphill was ok it was downhill that hurt my knees. I stopped to hand some stuff to my husband at Cleveland Circle and he jogged with me for a minute because I was wimpering. I also stopped briefly to give my friend a hug. I don't know what would have or wouldn't have happened that day. Who can speculate? I had the kind of running day I was meant to have. What changed this experience for me was what happened after I got stopped on the Marathon course, just before I was about to turn onto Hereford Street, and was told to "GO HOME". 

I was told by security officers to just "go home". What?  I had no idea where my husband was? He was suppose to be waiting for me at the family meeting area near the finish line. Confused and upset. I started walking. I made it to the first park bench I saw and sat down. I put my head in my hands and started to cry. This is not how this is suppose to end. What am I going to do? Does anyone have any info? I was starting to get cold. I finally sat up, wiped my tears and said "ok T you need a plan! What would Charles do?"  I decided that if he was okay and nothing had happened to him he would try to meet me somewhere. And I decided to try to find the Hostel we had stayed in the night before. The last spot we were together that morning.  As I walked I tried to gather some information about what had happened. I kept asking strangers if their phones were working yet. I made it to where the buses were parked, jumped the barricade and decided to try to get my bag. My phone was in my bag. I was one of the last runners to get my bag. A police officer was arguing with the bus driver to leave the bus. And she did not want to leave the belongings, they were her responsibility. The officer let her get my bag and then escorted her from the bus, walked us to the barricade and ushered us out.  From there I wandered through the city in the direction I thought I was suppose to go. After about an hour my phone rang. It was my brother! YAY! the phones worked. I then called my husband. He answered and from there we figured out where I was in relation to the Hostel. I was right!  That is where he went.  
30 minutes later we were reunited! The rest of the evening and the 4 hour drive home I was just in shock. I still hadn't come to terms with what had happened that day.

This is something my husband posted on FB. 
Hello all! Theresa wasn't running well and stopped with me for a bit when I saw her and also stopped for Jennifer Wayland. Had she not stopped she would have been at the finish when the bombs went off. I finally found her and she is OK. Cell phones are barely working. We will try and drive home tonight. The silver lining according to my Wife - Her crappiest marathon time ever won't be recorded because they stopped her on the course!

And this: I wrote on my FB page. 
I'm home. Glad to be here. Support from my community at home is as wonderful as it was while I was in Boston. Thank you from the bottom of heart to everyone. There are people to thank who's names I don't know who helped me when I had no one else. Strangers in a city that was as confused as I was. A women who gave me socks to use as arm warmers. A young man who gave me the sweatshirt of his back, to the women who huddle with me for strength and understanding. I am glad to hug my children today.

Article the Bangor Daily News wrote

This article pretty much sums up the experience. 

In the aftermath of the Boston Marathon I had a hard time returning to my running and my running community. It was easier for me to distance myself from what I loved than to immerse myself in it. I was suppose to run a 50 Mile race in May and I did the 50K event instead because I couldn't bring myself to train as much as I should have. My heart just wouldn't let me.Pineland Trail Running Festival  

I participated in a wonderful fundraiser called One Run For Boston in June 2013. I ran in the last two stages,  which was  the last half of the Boston Marathon course, to raise money for the bombing victims and that helped me have some closure while helping others. The BAA was generous enough to send those of us who did not finish our medals in the mail. I did not open mine. I did not earn it. My husband graciously kept it hidden for me. On the day I crossed the finish line in June, running for the One Run For Boston, my oldest daughter hung the medal around my neck.   ( One Run for Boston 2; Started in March 2014 in CA and ended in Boston on April 13th)
My friend Colin and I at the finish line for One Run for Boston Event.

I went on to run another marathon in October. It was both rewarding to finish a marathon and place in my age group. I wore my $8.00 minimalist sneakers. I finally felt a small sense of relief. At the beginning of the marathon, I stood with my friend and told him that this was the scary part for me. Being surrounded by all the people and very nervous about going the distance and the unknown out there waiting for me. I was shaking and told him if I break down it is ok. I will pull myself together and run when it is time. I was just scared. As we were all standing there waiting, the race director had arranged for a bagpiper to march through the crowd to the starting line. This was a very moving moment. All I could do was hide my head under my cap as the tears rolled down my face. I did pull myself together, stand tall, wipe my tears, and begin to run. I did it. I ran for 3:51:56 and nothing bad happened to me. The MDI Marathon, Maine 

My family saw me struggle through the summer. Behind closed doors I was not as well as I put forth in public. That being said I still struggle with large crowds, small spaces and large noises. But I had some of those issues before April 2013.  We believe I suffer from PTSD from the events that surrounded the Boston Marathon. I feel that with every new event I participate in I am getting better. 

I will be at the starting line for the 2014 Boston Marathon. I will probably have tears in my eyes then as well. But I have to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment