Barefoot Mama

"I started running barefoot in March 2008. I started one step at a time, one day at a time. I decided to start keeping a journal of sorts. Sharing my history, my journey and my adventures."

I have taken some new paths in relation to my running over the last year. This blog will still include my running adventures but I have to move on with more stories of my family and the journey we have taken together over the last year. This blog was started as a way to help me record my barefoot journey but now needs to become more than that. Please be patient as I explore ways to stay connected with family and friends.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

"Minimalist", "Bareshoes", "Barefoot shoes" whatever! They all suck!

Ok not all barefoot runners may understand this; while many are figuring how to transition INTO a minimalist shoe of some kind so they can run barefoot....I'm trying to figure out how to get through the winter wearing the least amount possible on my feet. Barefoot is best! Does anyone think it is just as hard to go back the other way too? Barefoot into minimalist? I can't get my Merrell's or my VFF to feel right?! My husband can't believe how uncomfortable shoes have become for me. I have to put them on and just sit in them and then just walk in them for about 10-15 minutes just to get the feel for them. "yuck" While the world is talking about what minimalist shoe is best, how does this one fit, how does that one feel. Well, I think they all suck! I wear them because I have to. They are, like so many have pointed out, a tool. If I want to go trail running in frozen earth, in 19 degree weather I better have something to protect my feet. But after my runs I am so happy to sit and take the retched things off as soon as possible. So that's my rant. I have chosen to live in a climate that going totally barefoot, OUTSIDE, for a portion of the year is just stupid. ( Yes, I have lost the end of 2 toes and several toenails from frostbite) I have learned...so I do my best to carry on...but I still don't like shoes...and they ALL suck! If you see me running along and I'm wearing a minimalist shoe, (that's what I'm going to call them, because they are not BARE in any way!), and I'm actually smiling, it's because I'm RUNNING. And as long as I can do that I can smile.

Re-reading this post actually made me laugh...I guess I will never be a minimalist shoe tester! HAHA, give me a free pair of your minimalist shoes that I will never wear so I can tell you how much they suck! HAHAHAHA!

4 comments:

  1. I have to force myself to wear shoes to test! I have had shoes for months that I just can't bring myself to sacrifice a barefoot run for :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Theresa! It's amazing how intolerable shoes can be to me now. I start to feel claustrophobic if I can't freely wiggle my toes. Flip-flops and Vibrams are my best alternatives these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm absolutely barefoot first. I used to love crazy knee socks but this year I realized that I hate the slip I get with every step. I am wearing minimalist to work because I have to. I love them only because I hate regular shoes now. At least, I'm not wearing 4 inch heels with pointy toes anymore. In someways, I like Merrells because I don't have to explain myself to the masses. As much as I love winter and snow, I can't wait to barefoot run again.

    Barefoot Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm addicted to running shoes, 22 pair and still going strong :-) And yes, I can run barefoot but the shoe addiction won't let me!

    ReplyDelete