Barefoot Mama

"I started running barefoot in March 2008. I started one step at a time, one day at a time. I decided to start keeping a journal of sorts. Sharing my history, my journey and my adventures."

I have taken some new paths in relation to my running over the last year. This blog will still include my running adventures but I have to move on with more stories of my family and the journey we have taken together over the last year. This blog was started as a way to help me record my barefoot journey but now needs to become more than that. Please be patient as I explore ways to stay connected with family and friends.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The rest of April....


I went to Kentucky to run the Kentucky Derby Marathon with a friend. My sister lives in Kentucky so it was a destination race of sorts. I was able to visit my family for a few days and run the marathon. It's hard to write all the details now. We went across the Ohio River and had lunch in Indiana. We also got to attend a hot air balloon festival. The balloons were HUGE!

I ran 13.1 miles of the marathon barefoot and then ran the last half with my VFF.  I got a marathon PR of 3:36:57! It was a flat course until about mile 11 and then it was a gradual uphill for 2 miles. We got to run through the grounds of Churchill Downs too. (at around mile 7?) There was another uphill 2 mile climb from mile 22-mile 25 or so. I remember that the asphalt was old  and what I call "pokey tar". I used this marathon as a training run. I needed to run a longer distance on my way to finishing my first 50 miler in May. 


Looking at Kentucky from Indiana
Hot Air Balloon Festival




No comments:

Post a Comment